Monday, February 1, 2016

Show me your ways, O Lord,
teach me your paths;
guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Saviour, 
and my hope is in you all day long.
                                     Psalm 25:4-5

     It's amazing to me that I started attending church camp over thirty years ago!  Even so, I have many fond memories of weeks at camp where I made new friends and learned what it meant to draw closer to God.  I also think about the adult leaders who were at those camps and now appreciate the time they spent with me and all the other young people.  Two weeks ago we had our youth camp for the New Zealand Nazarene district and I hope that these young people went away with some of the same type of great memories and growing experiences that I was blessed with.  We had a speaker/musician from Australia named Chang Po Ching who grew up in New Zealand and was excited to be back for our camp.  His wife Emily and their 10 week old baby came along as well!  Several of our pastors on the district were there as well to speak and help as needed.  I want to also give a big thanks to Nigel and Jae Carey from our Dargaville Church who were in charge of the camp this year.  The teens and pre-teens at camp (it was for kids in years 7-13 at school) enjoyed the company of fellow Christians and Nazarenes from around the country.  This was encouraging for me as we live in a world that keeps pushing young people away from God; however, some are choosing to follow God instead of the world and we need to support them as they are the future of our churches.  
 Our opening night service with Chang Po Ching.

 View from the deck of our building where most people slept.

 Fa'a speaking to the campers.



 Camp always includes fun and interesting games!!!



 Catching water balloons from a water balloon launcher.
 Kids could go kayaking or swimming in Parua Bay.

 Some of our games were led by Cam Batkin who came over from Australia with his son, Max, a.k.a. Sharkbait.
 Hadley dreaming about going down the giant water slide.

 Hollister enjoying one of the many water-based games.
 Harrison on the water slide.
 Our "swimming pool" at the Parua Bay Wharf.


 Our last service before everyone departed for home.
 Nigel and Jae Carey, our fearless camp organizers!
 Nigel congratulating our co-campers of the week.
 Kahu
 Kahu and Kya
 Selfie time with Ruby, Hannah, and Chang

 Devontae was a little frightened by the head under the bucket!

 Hannah and Kya
 Harrison and Benjamin
 Nigel, our fearless leader!


 Jaron and Elizabeth Graham who arrived from the U.S. in December.

 Max, a.k.a. Sharkbait

     This past week I have gone back to work at Dargaville High School as we prepare for a new school year.  For those of you in the Northern Hemisphere, the school year here is basically from February to mid-December as the seasons are opposite from yours.  Anyway, I am looking forward to being at the school from Day 1 this time instead of starting halfway through the year like last year.  Also, Harrison will be going with me to Dargaville this year which I am looking forward to.  I have never had the honor of being in school with any of my kids so this should be fun.  He will be in one of my science classes which I hope he will enjoy!  ;o)

Enjoying the beach on my last day of summer break before returning to work.

Harrison and me posing in front of the Pacific Ocean at Matapouri Bay.

Finally, I leave you with a challenge...the longest place name on Earth.  I fully expect everyone reading this to learn how to say it!  God bless you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment